- If no likable character is apparent in the first ten minutes, the story is moot.
- Don’t try putting your own twist on a classic (i.e. The Hatter, Oz the Great and Powerful). Spin-offs do not work with alterations, especially those that contradict canon. Save that for fanfic.
- Emphasize dialogue and subtlety. Don’t use blunt violence unnecessarily- it seems like a cheap way out of conflict and a bland way to develop character if used excessively.
- Coincidences don’t exist.
- Don’t be didactic. No one wants to feel like they’re being lectured.
- Trust the audience’s ability to interpret meaning and symbolism without shoving it in their faces.
- Never make assumptions about a certain type of character without personal experience.
- Never add conflict just for the sake of having drama.
- Emotional investment is everything.